Friday, December 4, 2009

December Mornings

Hello All
It is early morning here. Ellen is asleep and I am, as usual, up and finding things to do.........
Ellen is stable, growing a little stronger physically, but still having difficulty with communication. It's frustrating for her as she can understand what others are saying to her, but cannot form the words to express herself. We have formed a whole new language with each other that includes a lot of sign language, nodding, and blank stares. Somehow, many times, we actually understand what the other is trying to communicate. Somehow, most of the time, we both end up laughing at how ridiculus we both are.
Since coming home, we have been enjoying the city, but mostly enjoying the frequent visits of friends and family. I think it's the highlight of Ellen's day for people to knock on the door and spend a few minutes chatting with her. To me, it's such a showering of love and it is exactly why I wanted to get her home to New Orleans. Some days are good and full of laughter and some days are hard, long and painful, but I know for her every one of them is precious and appreciated. She is really a strong and amazing woman.
I know some of you might be more comfortable with emailing as a response to this blog--you can connect with me at: porcelainheart@cox.net.
More later
love,
cathy

3 comments:

Pam Felth said...

It's just unbelievable how strong you two are, and how you manage to laugh at your own efforts to communicate. I applaud your spirit and I have great respect for both of you. I would love to visit... I am fighting a cold right now and don't want to make you worse instead of better, so I will hold off a few days and get in touch to see when I can stop by. Much love, Pam

Heather said...

Aunt Cathy - I love you. I have read the blog from beginning to today. The story of how you and Ellen met warmed my heart and it has been so beautiful to see the strength of your relationship put into words. I wish there was something more I could do for you and Ellen, but all I know how to do is pray. Please know that I do pray for you both often and always - for healing, yes, but mostly for strength, comfort and as much laughter and joy as can be fit into a lifetime. Please give Ellen a hug from me. Love to you both, Heather

Unknown said...

Thank you for letting us come in and out of your lives but just dropping by. Please don't hesitate to let us know if that no longer works for you down the road, or if it continues to be the best way to show you both our love.

May you keep on laughing about the absurdity of it all, along with enjoying every moment of connection and love. Take big bites.